Monday, August 1, 2011

Jumbo Stuffed Pasta Shells

I love lasagna but don’t often take the time to make it.  Instead I make jumbo stuffed pasta shells.   They are easy and I actually like them better than lasagna.   My eldest daughter downs these like they are the last meal she'll ever eat. 



Here's what I use: jumbo shell pasta, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and an egg.  
 


I start by cooking 12 jumbo pasta shells. While the shells cook, I make the filling.  Ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, an egg.  Just mix this up in a bowl and place in a zip lock bag. 
 



I also make (or defrost) a batch of my homemade spaghetti sauce.  You can get the recipe for it here.  Put a thin layer of the sauce in a casserole dish, this will help anchor the shells when you place them in the pan.  I use an 8 x 8 covered corning ware dish. 

When the pasta is cooked, drain.  You will need to let this cool enough to handle it. I generally place the pasta on a paper towel open side down to drain all the water. 



Next, cut a corner out of the zip lock bag with the filling; you are basically making your own piping bag. 



Fill the pasta shells by gently squeezing the zip lock bag. A helper is great at this point, I employ a kid.   Place the filled shells in the casserole dish.  The shells can be touching, it won’t hurt them a bit. 



 When all shells are filled, pour the remaining sauce over the whole thing.  Sprinkle with some shredded mozzarella cheese. 




Cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees.




These are great with some crusty French bread and a green salad.  They also reheat really well and I usually grab a couple for my lunch at work. 


9 comments:

  1. you know I think this is great substitute for all that layering,, I'm trying this,, thanks for sharing and the zip lock bag tip is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful. I love stuffed shells and have not made them in so long. I need to again! Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful Southern treat to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for sharing:)
    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy! that looks so good. thanks for partying with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I'm always trying to stuff the manicotti shells, and they're always tearing apart. I'm going to try these giant shells and the baggy the next time. Thanks!!
    Sheri
    http://www.alongcamebrutus.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look sooo good! i've always wondered how to make these! gonna try these for dinner this week! thanks for linking these up to my tip-toe thru tuesday party! just wanted to let you know that they will be featured at tomorrow's party! stop by and grab your featured button!

    http://crayonfreckles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!
    I will try this for sure.
    Love the zip lock tip too.

    I am so glad you found me today!
    I will look forward to coming by and getting to know you better.
    LOVE your ribbon covered box.... so sweet!

    Your newest follower,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy!!! Thanks so much for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete