Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cushion Spring Squirrel Feeder


Last winter when I redid an old rocking chair I had, I kept the springs from the cushion.  The girls thought I was nuts, what would I ever use them for?  Well for starters I have some ideas for Christmas, but I also have some other ideas too.



Let me start by telling you about our yard.  We have two lots and a bunch of trees and most of them attract squirrels – two large and one HUGE oak tree, two black walnut trees, two large pecan trees, a medium sized maple and two pine trees.  Needless to say we have several squirrels in residence.  They love to raid the dog food and bird feeder as most squirrels do.  I decided the need a little variety – ears of corn.

I used a spring from the chair.  I just attached a good length of wire to hang it and put some wire back and forth across the top so they don’t take the entire ear of corn.  And yes I made sure there were no wires poking out where they could hurt a squirrel. 



Not bad for stuff I had on hand.


18 comments:

  1. What a fab idea. Do not have to make and just hang. I love to feed those little guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat idea! I can see why those springs have got you thinking of Christmas too!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now if only I can come across some! I ♥ squirrels and have some in my backyard, so I bet they'd love it too. Thanks for sharing!
    Nicole @
    www.DavisDomestications.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant! now if only we had some squirrels around here! (they don't exist in Israel) thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazingly creative way to reuse old stuff! I'll bet you have some very happy squirrels in your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I may need to try this being that we have a zillion squirrels living in our yard. Maybe it would keep them from planting all the acorns.
    Thanks for linking up!
    HUGS~
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea!! Thanks for linking to Thrifty Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks cool. The squirrels are gonna have a blast now.

    Thanks for linking up at Tea-Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. Your post added to the celebration. Party for this week is going on now. Hope to see you there.

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-3-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats a very neat idea,, are the squirrels actually using it ? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debilou - Yes they are using it! They go thru an ear of corn every two days or so. I had to do a modification after the first day, as they stole the entire ear! They are quite entertaining to watch as they hang from their hind legs ans stretch to get the kernels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute! Bet the squirrels are so happy with their feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant -- positively brilliant!

    Thank you so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me...."!

    I'm featuring your post on my FB page and am pinning it as well!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  13. so amazing that you created this! so resourceful!! just wanted to let you know that i'm featuring it at this week's tip-toe thru tuesday party! stop by and grab your featured button!

    andie @ crayonfreckles

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are awesome for saving the springs! A sure sign of a real crafter! It looks great! Thank you for linking to It's a Party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of the coolest resuses of a spring I've ever seen! I love it! Do the squirrels find it easy to eat from?

    Thanks for linking to the party. Hope to see you this week, as well.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very cool. Now I know what to look for at tag sales. Thanks. Can't wait to see what else you would do with these springs. Thanks. Linda

    ReplyDelete