Saturday, May 21, 2011

May Flowers

I finally got in gear and purchased the annuals for this growing season.   I over bought, which is normal for me - I just have a hard time picking what I want for each spot in our yard. Plus we have lots of shade and that limits what I can use.  There a nice greenhouse just 15 minutes from our house where I found some goodies, but the selection was limited.  They have some shrubs and trees I would have loved to had, but I like being married.

Then we headed 30 minutes northwest to a large greenhouse out in the country a county away.  It's amazing in there - 3,200 varieties of annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, herbs, vines and aquatic plants.  I have such a good time there but making decisions is hard! 


My favorite this year, which are new ones for me are the Ptilotus and I think they look pretty good in the galvanized bucket I found the other day.



I also mixed some Swedish Ivy, Wander Jew and sweet potato vines in my old whiskey barrel planter.




We found these very pretty purple saliva and they went in the other whiskey barrel. 




And some Celosia that remind me of fire.  They make a good focal point in the back yard.


Every thing is planted and ready for summer.


I hope it all lives.






LINKING TO :

21 comments:

  1. I love the flowers you've chosen and you've got a great eye for grouping them together. It's so hard NOT to over buy flowers :) Now you'll have some super lush planters for summer. Thanks for linking to Eat, Grow, Sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flower photos are lovely. My grandfather was quite the horticulturalist and he had barrels full of flowers all over the place. Thanks for the memories. I am your newest follower. I would love it if you came over to Greetings From the Asylum and followed me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your container garden! They are beautiful and the pots are so rustic and pretty.

    Please stop by www.decoratingdiy.blogspot.com when you get a chance!

    Kristen
    Turning a House into a Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so beautiful. I love seeing celosia. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love flowers! You chose really pretty ones! I LOVE the "wash tub" looking one! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that bucket! Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

    Melissa

    MyCraftieLife.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers, I have a hard time decided what to purchase as well. What makes it harder is my hubby is a manager at Lowes and I'm always over there visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope it lives too!!! Everything is so lovely.
    Love the containers.
    Thanks for sharing them at Treasure Hunt Thursday.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  9. They all look so pretty and by mid summer, those containers will be overflowing.
    I need to find some cool containers like these.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your container plantings. I just got some Celosia for the first time & am excited to see how they do here. Yes, I too hope everything lives whenever I plant. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Celosia and cockscomb are 2 of my favorites because they give color all summer and reseed (a little) which helps next years budget.
    I like all your flower choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I featured you on Eat, Sew, Grow! Love the flowers, check out the site to grab your featured button :)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful your container gardening looks. I love the comment you made about liking being married.lol I have a husband and we have the same agreement about painting the kitchen cabinets and hardwood over carpet. But, he has decided one day the kitchen/dining space can get hardwood. Thanks for linking this up to HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of your flowers are wonderful and I love the old galvanized buckets. Thanks for linking up to OH party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love anything galvanized in the gardens. Your containers look great and will only get better as they mature.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your container's and the variety of flowers you chose for your annuals this year!
    it's easy to buy more flowers than you think you need...Is there even such a thing as too many flowers?
    Thanks for linking up today for farmgirl Friday and have a wonderful weekend!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look so pretty. I hope they do well for you. I've not even gotten to annual flowering beds yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So bright and pretty. They would make a lovely goat snack!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have purple saliva in our flower beds. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love these! They are beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Fantastic Friday, I hope that you will join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete