Here's a project Bryan and I completed a while ago, a headboard for our bed. I've had a water bed for the last 21 years, it's one thing from the late 80's that I just can't give up. It's always warm when you crawl in in the winter and it's gives me just the right amount of support.
When we moved to our current home in '98 we ditched the standard bookcase headboard that most water beds have. It was not very attractive and it left us with very little room between the bed and a dresser. When we painted the bedroom and got a new comforter I decided we needed a headboard. I knew I wouldn't find what I wanted for a price I was willing to pay, so we made our own. This project was BB (before blogging) so there are no how to pictures, just the finished project.
A piece of plywood, a large rectangle of 2" foam, fabric, buttons and some great beading. I definitely needed Bryan's help on this one. He cut the plywood to the size we needed and drilled holes for the tufting. I cut the foam down to size, I highly recommend using an electric knife for cutting the foam - it worked like a charm. We used spray adhesive to attache the foam to the headboard and then attached the fabric with staples. We made the buttons and attached them to the headboard with some heavy gage wire through the holes that Bryan had pre-drilled. We used fabric glue to attach the beading to the headboard and then pinned it in place until the glue dried.
The beading is a little off thanks to a couple of cats that would not leave the beads alone while drying, All in all though, I think it turned out really well.