Sunday, January 16, 2011

In the cooking mood

I was in the cooking mood last night and this morning - therefore we tried a couple of new recipes.  The first was supper last night - Chicken with a bacon, rosemary & lemon sauce.  No leftovers - no complaints from anyone!   I also did the prep work for breakfast - Muffin Melts.   Two out of three liked it, Bryan liked it better than last nights chicken - so I know he really thought it was good. 


CHICKEN WITH BACON, ROSEMARY & LEMON SAUCE

5 slices bacon, chopped
¼ cup flour
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts –pounded flat
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbs butter
1 tbs fresh rosemary or 2 tsp dried rosemary
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbs lemon juice

The original recipe called for 1 tbs. slice garlic and 1 1/2 tsb red pepper flakes that I omitted as I do not like either.   

Fry bacon in large skillet (I used electric skillet) until crisp, remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.  Leave 2 – 3 tbs of bacon fat in pan.

Meanwhile, place flour salt and pepper in bowl, stir.   Dredge chicken in flour.   Add butter to reserved bacon fat, swirl to melt butter.  When foam subsides, reduce heat to medium – high and cook chicken until done. I had to add more butter during the cooking process the keep the fry going. Transfer chicken to plate and keep warm (I used warming burner on my stove) leave fat /drippings in pan. 

Add lemon juice, chicken broth and rosemary to pan.  Cook until slightly thickened – if it does not thicken – add small amount of  cornstarch in water or chicken broth.

Add chicken back to sauce and heat until sauce is thickened to your liking.  

 We had stuffing with this, next time I'm thinking some pasta and crusty bread to sop up the sauce. 




MUFFIN MELT

I made half a recipe since only 3 were to be eating it.  Jadyn did not like it so there is some left for Bryan's breakfast before work tomorrow. 

12 eggs – hard boiled – peeled and chopped
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup mayo
12 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
1 tbs. Dijon mustard
3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
6 whole English muffins split.


Combine eggs with all other ingredients. Fold together gently. Cover and store in the fridge overnight.
Spread on English muffin halves, then broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until hot and bubbly. I put oven rack two down from the broiler so they would heat through and not get too brown on the top.


LINKING TO:  http://www.ekatskitchen.com/
http://www.littlebrickranch.com/

2 comments:

  1. I don't know which I wish was waiting for me right now... they both look SO good. NOM NOM NOM NOM!!! Thanks for bringing to Friday Potluck. I would appreciate if you'd add a link back to FP so that your fabulous readers can check out FP and get even more inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete